Go check out Arthur Silber's latest rant at "Yes: I TOLD YOU SO
It is a nice rant. I know how he feels.
I visited Atrios'
site for a bit, but dropped out just after the 2006 elections. The worship of the Democratic Party was too much for me. I got tired of being called a Republican troll for arguing that the Democrats won't impeach, that most of the Democratic candidates were Republican-Lites.
Then I got flamed for being a spoilsport as people argued that they deserved a celebration because they work so hard to get the Democrats elected, even if I was right. So they deserved to celebrate a fantasy prize from a fantasy victory, based on actual real work that ultimately aided their enemies? It is no wonder that fantasy wrapped up as reality, sells so well on television.
I agree with you that an attack on Iran seems certain. But even Democratic Party faithfuls that accept this, argue that this is a good thing, because it will insure a Democratic Party sweep in 2008. I can't help but think, 'So what?' Why can't they use the over sized primate brains in their skulls, to consider the consequences?
Let's assume our bombers are hitting Tehran as Hillary Clinton drinks champagne at her victory party.
1. The Strait of Hormuz is closed to shipping as tankers are sunk and fires spread accross the Gulf.
2. The world stock markets tank.
3. The US dollar begins a rapid free fall.
4. The price of gasoline approaches $10.00/gal.
5. The high price of fuel drives the cost of goods through the roof. Many store shelves sit empty.
6. Food and fuel rationing is begun.
7. Our ground troops in Iran and Iraq start taking heavy losses.
8. Hillary and Democratic majority in Congress and the Senate, vote to start a conditional draft.
9. Protests heat up. Protesters are killed in a number of events by Blackwater Security.
10. The unemployment rate begins rising. The MSM has difficulty avoiding stories of massive layoffs.
11. Hillary has her own 'Jimmy Carter moment', as she implores Americans to conserve and to help each other in this time of crisis.
12. In the wars, casualty rates climb. Republicans start screaming that Hillary is losing the war.
13. The war expands into Syria, Jordan, Turkey and Africa.
14. Republicans take the House and Senate in 2010.
15. Impeachment hearings against Hillary are immediately begun.
16. The draft takes more and more young men and the body bags flow freely back to the US.
17. Hillary is impeached and removed from office.
18. The Republicans own the Presidency, House and Senate in 2012.
19. Stuff doesn't get better.
If the Democrats don't impeach, and Bush starts World War III, it is not in their interest to have their candidate in the White House. A war on Iran will be a steaming bowl of shit. The next President will be stuck with it.
And for this reason, I am confident that a Democrat will win.