Monday, January 21, 2008

Rant From Sarajevo

This guy from Sarajevo seems to know more about problems here in the US, than my neighbors do.

I saw a sad sight this morning. 12 bags of leaves set out for the garbage. Had I seen them over the weekend, they'd be in my compost and the corners of my garden now. As it is now, our local leaf farmers have successful paid to have them delivered to a landfill to rot in a soup of toxic debris.

And what sense is there to all of this? Why do we farm leaves and grass clippings in order to fill up landfills? Why has leaf and grass farming become such an integral part of our lives in the US? Why would we rather grow grass clippings to fill our landfills, than food to fill our bellies?

On another note, my experiment in wheat is doing well. In fact, I've hardly done anything with it. I wound a soaker hose through that patch when I planted it, and over the last few months, I've only watered twice. I'm not sure it needed it then. It is tall and lush. And even with the freezing temps we've had this past week, bright green. It just looks strange to see with all the shades of brown that fill the rest of my yard. Here at the office, my coworkers want me to bring a loaf of bread up, after I harvest. :)

Well ok, here's the rant...

1 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aeroplanes costs fuel god dammit!

Perfect!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home