Monday, June 16, 2008

When I first Met You

It's late, I wrote a new song, put a draft out on YouTube, and now it's time to hit the hay. This is another 30 minute wonder. I think it has potential.



When I First Met You
Words and music by Jack Dingler

When I first met you, I knew, you were someone I could fall in love with
And you talked to me, like, I was someone you’d wanna spend time with
But the better I got to know you, the less you wanted to know me
I guess I can’t fault you, for your taste in men

I knew from the start, that you were better than me
I was a pretender, on a lark, and I couldn’t let you be
But my feelings were real to me, though you laughed them off
And I felt so alone, in the emptiness, left behind when you walked away

Ain’t it funny, how things have turned out
Me, my life got better, and yours inside out.
I guess that’s the difference, in knowing when you’re on the road
I can’t remember being any other place and you never showed

I know if you want to, you can be on the mend
But these days, I can’t help you, I’ve got no time to lend
I’ve got a family of my own, and they help to keep me whole
And we only have a memory, of a moment so long ago

Take a long look back, at the wreckage, you’ve left behind
You haven’t had a habit, of treating your lovers kind
So what do you think your were doing, what was on your mind
They went on to live happy lives, while you’re still doing time.

Chorus

You say you’ve got no time left, age has etched your face
Young men won’t talk to you, you’ve lost your sense of grace
But if you still don’t see it, the scar that mars your soul
Why should I point a finger, why should I be so bold

You pretended one time to be my friend so I’ll grant you this one request
The problem that lies within you, is beating within your chest
If you could learn to work with that, you wouldn’t be where you are
But the road that lies from here to there, might as well be on a shooting star

7 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

Excellent Wease!
love the words! You're a Romantic! Tht song is very good now tell me, how does an unknown get something heard? I hope you get this heard Bud that is pretty good!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Thanks Jim. :)

How to get noticed, is the eternal question.

Lately though it seems I have gigs if I want them, and I learn enough material.

I have maybe an hour of solid material and need four.

This song is very rough. As my collaborator pointed out, it's too long. Some word changes occurred to me. 'Breast' instead of 'Chest' for instance.

I recorded and posted this, because I want to get into this habit. Too often I'll put something together on paper and later, forget where I was going with it. Sometimes that leads to new directions. Sometimes it leads to putting it away again.

This song started out as a few words and chords from a few weeks ago. I looked at it again, and the rest just poured out.

The lyrics were easy.

The chords for the refrain were tricky. I'm happy with how they came out. Though there is a turnaround that sounds like Gordon Lightfoot. After I realized what it reminded me of, I had to go back and listen again. I'm satisfied that I didn't rip him off.

Gordon Lightfoot's - Dreamland

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

You know, you said you could have gigs if you had more material. Can't you just do a guest song or two and see how you go over? They have places like that here and I thought everywhere no? That song is pretty good and it seems to me you might impress someone of consequence who can help you out. Did you say you posted it on you tube that's a start? Turn Robert on to it he might be able to help or have thoughts and ideas.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Oh Jim, I guess I haven't talked about that much.

I'm already doing open mics, and I just finished hosting a jam session for the last six months.

Some friends and acquaintances are asking me if I'm interested in performing in artist showcases.

Over the years, I've seen friends burn themselves out trying to hard, doing too much. I think Robert can tell you a tale or two on that account.

So I'm staggering the events I attend and building up my material base.

Here's one that a friend recorded for me.
http://tinyurl.com/68a6qk

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

No you haven't talked about it but Dave Dubya has and has been doing stuff too! You sound grounded and in the know so I will only follow you and wish you all the luck in the world. Robert as you know is a good one and he can and does tell about his experiences pretty often! Thanks for the link and I will listen to it now. Adios for now!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

Yeah I saw and heard that one. I like it and it reminds me of the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald however you spell it! funny but you're definitely a Texas singer. You must go over well! Have fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home