Friday, January 09, 2009

Spring Is Coming!

Or at least my Spring Catalogs have arrived.

This year has started out fairly well for me. My financial situation has improved a bit. It seems my lot in life, that my personal life is always running in the opposite direction of society's.

So I invested this year in more perennials. I'm forward with the plan to put up more trellising. In one section of my garden, I'll be putting in some horizontal trellising and may see if I can get some shade tolerant plants to grow under it.

I've also figured out what to do with a narrow strip beside my driveway. I'm going to try blueberries there this year. To do this, I have to stray a little bit from my organic theme and put down some sulfur to acidify my soil a bit. This will be my worst offense in a decade, I think I can live with myself.

For the trellised gardens, I'm putting in hops, kiwis and more passion fruit. I'll also be planting annuals like casabananas, and some flowering vines for the hummingbirds and bees.

The rest of my garden will still have the traditional beans squash, peppers and tomatoes. I'll be expanding my artichokes this year.

Our average last frost date for this area is April 8. I can't wait. It seems so far away.

1 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like blueberries. You might try covering the soil with pine mulch after you add the ammendments. Also, a good 1/2" x 1/2" galvanized mesh cage to keep the birds out is a must. We used to pick wild blueberries up north, man they were good. My mouth is watering just thinking about g'ma's blueberry pie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home