Saturday, September 12, 2009

Garden Photos

I've finally done it. I have pictures of the trellises that I put up.

This is the western trellis. In this photo you can see mexican sunflowers and elephant head amaranth growing under it. I didn't realize that the sunflowers would grow so huge. I've cut them back since, to give some light for the grapes and morning glories. I had hops and kiwis planted there, but they didn't make it.


This shot is just a little to the right of the last photo. The enclosed space is my main garden. you can see some squash and peppers in it. The fences are covered in purple string beans. The plant in the back with the large leaves are poke salat. The mockingbirds love the berries. The left pot has peppermint and the right one, a volunteer vegetable leaf amaranth.


The open space in my yard, aka The Grass Farm. You can see the Eastern trellis in this shot. It remains temporarily unfinished. I need to buy a a few more cedar 2X2s and a middle support to complete it. It has grapes, hops, passion flowers and morning glories growing on it. the structure in the back with the blue tarp is my chicken coop. It's made from pipe and chicken wire. Today it has a brown tarp and would be harder to see in a pic like this.


A similar shot with a better view of the trellis, and the lawnmower with a plastic cover over it.


This is Ginger, hiding in the foliage, waiting to ambush prey at the watering hole. The plants you can see are cannas, daturas and irises. In the pond are dwarf lilypads. Not visible are thornless blackberries, blueberries and strawberries. Perhaps they'll be easier to see next year.


An early morning visitor.

12 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Really great garden, Wease! If you'd eliminate the grass farm, you wouldn't need the lawnmower.

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I have a goat-herder friend with a little biodynamic garden. He left the grass in patches just for the pathways between beds. He says it keeps the weeds under control and it only takes about 10-15 minutes a week to mow the paths. He wonders why more
folks don't try it that way... more food, less grass but absolutely keep the work to the minimum.

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Playing possum in the back yard? Sweet pics weaseldog!

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

On the first day of christmas, my true love gave to me.
A possum in a pear tree...

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reminds me, I have to go check my secret pear tree.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

Damn Wease sorry I missed this and glad I caught it. That is all gorgeous. I bet ginger loves they spot!How did your chickens come out?

Brother I am with you!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Patriot, we had a sad event with the chickens. A neighbor's dog dug into the chain link fence in the back and killed most of them. The owner is making it up to me. His sister gave my five Black Australorp pullets and he ordered 25 chicks from Ideal Poultry. They'll arrive on Oct 2nd.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger The Moose said...

WOW.....I could really dig a garden like that!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger AArdvarker said...

Wonderful...you obviously put a lot of work into this oasis spot.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

Man that stinks but that ids great. The dog killed that many? That is a lot of eggs to eat if they all produce daily.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Yeah, I can't keep that many. But orders come in batches of 25. If I don't order pullets, they will back fill with cockerels.

I figure it will be easier to give away or sell pullets than cockerels.

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I scored pears today, YAY!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home