Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Ford Has Died

At the age of 93, President Ford has passed away.

For myself, he's probably the first President I actually remember in my life. Granted, my mother took me to Nixon campaign rallies, and I remember the ferver and all of the people, balloons and banners.

But Ford was the first President in which I understood what the Presidency means.

I rememeber Nixon going out, and Ford pardoning him. But that was the beginning of my political awakening. Later I didn't understand why Ford lost to a peanut farmer. Such is the mixed up priorities of youth.

Remember, I was born in 1963, so cut me some slack.

5 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The iniquities of Nixon and Ford pale by comparison to the current "leadership". Chimpy looked genuinely upset by the death of Ford. What did Chimpy do, chop onions and spray tabasco sauce in his eyes before he went on television? The man was friggin' 93 years old! Chimpy called him a "public servant". If he meant that the public dole served Ford well for most of his life he is correct. I have a whole new (and totally jaded) view of all of our past politicians now, in light of the extreme corruption and ineptitude of late.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember going to D.C. with loads of other college students to protest Tricky Dick's inauguration in '72, getting threatened and chased by police and so on. Fun times. After the heady revelations of prezidential misbehavior during Watergate, and Nixon resigning in disgrace, as well he should have, the dog, I was always rather pissed off with Ford for pardoning the fucker. I can't believe that toad Nixon died an elder statesman. Americans are so stupid, we deserve the government we get.

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard some of these folks died this year.

"Remembering Those We Lost"

http://news.aol.com/dailypulse/122706/_a/remembering-those-we-lost/20061227105509990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

 
At 2:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet chimpy hasn't shed a tear over all the dead Iraqi and Afghani children that have died as a result of his wars. A sick and souless man. To him only the rich and powerful deserve to be mourned.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

I'm not so sure. If his Mom didn't tell him who Gerald Ford is, would he have known to pretend to care?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home