Friday, April 20, 2007

Down The Rabbit Hole

I listened to almost all of Alberto Gonzales' testimony yesterday. It was like listening to the Mad Hatter or sitting in on a conversation with the Red Queen.

It was an incredibly surreal experience. I think the "I don't recall" count finally got tallied at 72. Sometimes I wondered if he dropped acid before coming to the hearing, and if he knew where he was or what he was doing.

Alberto Gonzales studied hard for this hearing. The MSM made a big deal about how this would prove that he was the right man for the job, and how it would vindicate the Bush administration.

What I actually learned is that Alberto Gonzales could study until the end of time and wouldn't be ready. He didn't even seem to understand that he was at a hearing, and what a hearing's purpose was. It seemed very strange to me that he could be running the Justice Department, and not know what a hearing is.

He did come across as the quintiseential Bush appointee. He seems to have an IQ somewhere between a beet and turnip. He had no real knowledge of what his job was or what goes on at his office. The skill he brings to the office, apparently only consists of being able to write his own name, on documents that have been drafted by other people.

When he did use more than a few words to answer a question, he meandered and rattled off arguments were overly long widned and complicated. They sounded rehearsed. It didn't sound like he actually understood what he was saying, or imagined that these prattles were making him sound important. After these prattles, he would be informed that he hadn't answered the question, and then he'd revert back to, "I don't recall".

The hearing had funny moments. When he said, "I've searched my mind..." there were giggles from the peanut gallery.

During recess, the peanut gallery started chanting, "Liar! Liar! Liar! Fire him now!"

Several senators told he that he was a good man, but inept and irresponsible.

If a good man believes in torture, and doesn't believe in the US Constitution or the essential liberties that the US Constitution stands for, then I agree.

For myself, I think this 'torture loving empty suit', is not a good man. He's certainly not qualified for the position he holds. I don't see how he is qualified to do any work in the legal profession. He's had his fifteen minutes of fame. Its time to dump him.

Jeffrey Feldman has a great take on these hearings.

2 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger FlyingMonkeyWarrior said...

Hillary can't remember anything either.

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am watching this country go down the toilet on every level. Let the games begin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home