Saturday, March 24, 2007

Saturday Garden Blogging

This is my largest garden area. My yard is chopped up a bit and bordered by fruit trees. I needed to leave space fvor the dogs to run and you can see their trails around the garden.


As I mentioned last year, I decided to try more trellising to get some vertical space ouf my garden. Along the fencing, I planted cucumbers, climbing beans, squash and tomatoes.

In the front I have leaf lettuce and cabbage. That's the faint greenery.

The rest is filled in with mostly bush beans, peppers and eggplant.

In the foreground here is more beans and cucumbers. In the center are thornless blackberries. I planted them this year. I expect them to take this section over in the future.

There's also a row of horseradish here that is just coming back up from last year.

In the back is corn, climbing beans, squash, melons and poke salat. Most of the greenery is vegetable leaf amaranth. This back section is intended partly to provide greens for my chickens.


Here's a shot of some of my birds. The rooster on the right is getting a bit too mean and may not survive the weekend.

Ok, I'm gonna go hang out in the backyard, and pretend out I'm living in the country, instead of a Dallas suburb... :)

9 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger FlyingMonkeyWarrior said...

Well that looks like doggie and chicken heaven to me, but what do I know, I am human.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool beans, Wease, y'all must've gotten some rain.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Its sprinkled some. But no real rain.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buck-buck-bu-gaaack! :-D

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Awesome, Weas. Looks great.

I did the first of my indoor seeding yesterday -- just flowers & bordering, but I'm still psyched.

Mrs. Mike insists she's not up for all the veggies again this year, but I hope she changes her mind. At very least, though, she'll do tomatos, peppers, herbs, and ggaenip, a leafy Korean veggie, which is either similar to, or the same as, shiso.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Did the rooster make it?

Or did you have a nice roaster?

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

At the moment, he is still with us.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Better behaving rooster, or second chance-giving Weaseldog?

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

I bought his some time, by seperating them.

That's allowed me to procrastinate.

He's on the clock though. I can't coddle them for twelve years while waiting for them to grow old and die. His tasty years are few anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home