Monday, March 19, 2007

The Second Commandment Republicans

Hat tip to Atrios.


The Second Commandment Republicans


"I'm a 'grace' Christian," Huckabee told me over lunch recently, "not a 'law' Christian. The Second Commandment--do unto others--is the basic tenet of my faith. And so I believe that life begins at conception, but I don't believe it ends at birth. I believe we have a responsibility to feed the hungry, to provide a good education, a safe neighborhood, health care ... That's why I talk so much about the need for music and art programs in our schools. I know some conservatives think it's foolish, but I just believe it's necessary to build whole, creative individuals."


Who knew that the Golden Rule was the second commandment? This is earth shattering news. Someone alert the Pope?

And why would he even consider that life ends at birth? Does this say something about the Republican psyche?

I can imagine a Republican saying to a newborn, "Dude, congratulations on being born. I hope you enjoyed your stay in womb. But now, you belong to Emperor Bush. You life is over. You'd better grow up fast, there's a pair of National Guard boots with your name on them, just waiting to get soaked in the blood stained sands of the Middle East."

I guess its a good thing that unlike other Republicans, he doesn't think life ends at birth.

6 Comments:

At 4:56 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Wow. That quotation is so fucking bizarre in so many ways I'm actually a bit disoriented.

Seriously, it makes me a little queazy.

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Yeah it is bizarre. It doesn't help the Arkansas stereotype at all.

And how does he say he's not a 'law' christian while mis-invoking God's law?

If he doesn't believe in the law, then why is he in government? Does he see the Presidency as an opportunity to take a government job that is outside the law?

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Second Commandment:

"You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I The Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate Me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love Me and keep My Commandments."


"do unto others"? where is that in the Bible? What planet is that guy from? So many people quote the Bible who have never read it. Many think the golden rule and "the Lord works in mysterious ways" is in there too. It's hopeless...

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

That comes from the 'Sermon On The Mount'.

I'm seeing it referred to as Jesus' Second Commandment on a few websites.

I've never heard of the Sermon on the Mount referred to as Jesus' Commandments before.

Christians go back and forth between Moses, Jesus and God so easily that its easy to get them confused. I recently came across a sermon that argued that Jesus parted the waters so that Moses could escape the Pharoah's army.

Jesus = God = Lawgiver to Moses...

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The golden rule, taught as a basic tenet of christianity and Islam, and yet they kill and badmouth each other just the same. Actually, the so-called christians do more killing and hurting than all the other religions combined. They can sure preach a sermon about the evils of Islam though... Funny, I always hear the followers of Islam saying the praises of Jesus, at least until the next car bomb goes off, that is. I never have heard the sermon on the mount called Jesus commandments, I thought he only issued one new commandment: You shall love others as I have loved you. That is seemingly the one most ignored also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home