Monday, August 13, 2007

Remember The Russians In Aghanistan?

Back in the 80s, Russia was trying to take Afghanistan for the purpose of running oil and gas pipelines through the country.

So the US under Reagan shipped weapons into Afghanistan, and helped the Taliban beat them out of the country. Our nation cheered as Russian mothers cried for their brave sons that died from US made rockets.

Well, it seems that Iraq is revenge served cold.

Remember how Bush keeps saying that Iran is supplying the weapons to Iraq? Well it seems the Russians are copying Reagan and they are supplying the insurgents.

Italy probe unearths huge Iraq arms deal

PERUGIA, Italy - In a hidden corner of Rome's busy Fiumicino Airport, police dug quietly through a traveler's checked baggage, looking for smuggled drugs. What they found instead was a catalog of weapons, a clue to something bigger.
ADVERTISEMENT

Their discovery led anti-Mafia investigators down a months long trail of telephone and e-mail intercepts, into the midst of a huge black-market transaction, as Iraqi and Italian partners haggled over shipping more than 100,000 Russian-made automatic weapons into the bloodbath of Iraq.


It looks like the Bush administration successfully brought back the cold war.

Before the US got into Afghanistan, and Iraq, I was making the argument that this would be a good time for Russia to stab us in the back and twist the knife. But then Bush looked into Putin's heart and saw that he was a good and honorable man, just like Bush.

Folks reminded me that we were on good terms with Russia now. They wouldn't get our boys killed in the way that we got their boys killed. That was the past.

I'm sure someone soon, who was wrong about everything, will tell us that saw this coming, that we're still wrong, because we were right for the wrong reasons.

11 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The U.S. ruling class has made a lot of enemies over the last thirty years. Now they are losing support at home. Maybe some day we can run them out of town on a rail, hopefully before they kill us all.

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, these people are even stupider than Bush.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

I hate to think back at the times when I attended a fundamentalist church in Texas.

The brainwashing didn't take well for me and I was kicked out at age 13 and told by the pastor that I was unredeemable, I could never be saved, and it was my destiny to burn in hell forever.

I think that family pressure was supposed to bring me back to the fold, but my family life was falling apart, and my parents weren't religious.

I can see how these people deluded themselves into believing that they were doing the right thing.

From their perspective, the Romans are still feeding Christians to the lions, and they are the most persecuted people ever. They are trained to live in fear and bond together through persecution. This ordeal will help to bring them together and reinforce the paranoia that bonds.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to: "Don't cast your pearls before swine, lest they turn and rend thee..." or something like that? Their god isn't watching out for them very well. Then again, he never did do a very good job of that.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Islam seems to be more pragmatic...

"Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel."

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wease, akubi had this [link]. I thought you might want to read it. Edgar out.

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Sorry to go off-topic, but I thought of you when I read this article.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

One thing I loved about living for Rome in 4 years was the fact they could care less about religion or the Pope.

Yesh, they like to hang out, yeah, some still go to church, but it your cathedrals looked like that you would too.

There's a saying in Rome. Ne abbiamo viste de cotte et de crude. They've seen it cooked and raw, they don't care about anything other than politicizing a cup of cappucino.

Why do you want to go pick on the italians....my husband's family are piedmontese and are quasi german and almost as square but the food's better, the southerners, whom i quite like and prefer are referred to as the Arabs by northern italians...

And they are the best peacekeepers, as a country they mourn all their boys and killed in iraq and well, i'm biased....

did the cold war ever stop...arms dealing is much more intense everywhere else...why wease, why pick on the Italians...have ya never been.

And i thought i was hard core, you're meaner than moi...

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Europhile, I hope you;re messing with me. :)

I'm picking on Texans, not Italians. The Baptist Churches I've been to here in North Central Texas and in East Texas tend to be very cultish. The sermons and Bible School teachings are all about how persecuted Christians are and how all the world hates them for their love of Jesus Christ.

The worst I've experience I've ever had in a Catholic Church was in the big cathedral in Mexico City where I was lectured about how all the non-Catholics were doomed to eternal damnation. Compared to Baptist Sunday School, they were lightweights in the fire and brimstone department.

My wife is Greek Orthodox. I've enjoyed attending services in their churches. It feels a bit like going to a church run by hippies. Their churches feel more comfortable than some of the Ku Klux Klan ones in Texas, where every man was wearing a flat top.

Russian Orthodox is interesting. My wife's friend Mona (recently deceased at 96), was Russian Orthodox, converted after fleeing the Spanish Revolution. In their churches, there are no pews. With nothing to trip over, its easier to escape when the authorities arrive.

But no, I harbor no ill will against Italians. I'm just making fun of my own twisted culture.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

well, maybe jus messin bit....

viva italia
viva le grece!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Good!

I hate being divided by a common language!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home