Friday, December 07, 2007

Tomatoes In December?

Our tomatoes are still going like gangbusters in our backyard garden.

Yesterday we picked another big and fresh juicy Pink Brandywine. I think it's on tonight's menu.

Temps are supposed to get into the 80s this weekend.

I have never ever, had a summer garden survive into December. All of my life, an October or November freeze has taken out my least hardy veggies. It has been a yearly ritual to go out the night before a freeze and pick all the green tomatoes we can find. But now, we're edging up to Christmas and there is no basket of green tomatoes ripening on the dining room table. All of the fruit is still growing on the vine.

Along with my tomatoes, I also have basil and a variety of peppers that are doing great. My asparagus is still green, my parsley and mints are lush and full.

This is just freaky.

5 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger Wiglaf said...

Fortune passes everywhere.

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really happy for you, and envious too.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Hehe, I guess I have the proper farmer gene.

This isn'r making me happy, it is worrying me sick. :)

I'm worrying will we get a freeze? Will my fruit trees set fruit in the spring? Will my perennials resprout and then be slaughtered by a sudden cold front...

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ice storm here Wease, you'll get some cold weather before spring. Have faith, Mr. Green Genes. :D

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Yep, even for Fla. this winter is very warm. Hard to think about christmas if you are sweating while putting up christmas lights outside.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home