Friday, November 06, 2009

Message From the Right

I didn't think it would take long for folks to put a political spin on a story that doesn't seem to have a political bent, as yet.

I got an email today from Bill Wilson. He publishes regular stories with a Republican bent. This was the first line.
Yesterday, in an unspeakable act of domestic terrorism, a Fort Hood psychiatrist with a long history of erratic and anti-American behavior systematically murdered 13 American soldiers. - Bill Wilson

As yet, I haven't seen any evidence that this murderer, had an anti-American position. He might have. I just haven't seen any evidence in the stories I'm reading.

Now if I take the far right, war loving view, I can see how this can be interpreted this way. To be a patriotic American you have to love war, you have to love killing non-Americans, you need to enjoy setting children on fire. If you don't want America to engage in these activities, then you hate America. if you believe that Jesus created America as a mindless machine that slaughters human beings for hate, fun and profit, then you're a patriot.

Personally, I am sickened by the mere notion of setting children on fire with phosgene, even in a war designed to make more money for rich people. And for this, devout Republicans are quick to dismiss me as a leftist peacenick wanker. It's funny though, I haven't met a war loving Republican yet, that enjoys setting children on fire and watching them burn to death. I guess the point is to love the idea of burning children to death for America.

I digress a bit though. So I'll make my point.

So far, this story has more parallels with the Columbine shootings than terrorism. This man suffered continuous harassment and abuse from his fellow soldiers until he made the decision to become a murderer and go on a shooting spree. It appears that his imminent deployment to Iraq (a war he did not believe in), triggered his murderous rampage.

If someone comes across evidence that he was making a political statement or that he has openly expressed hatred of his native country, the USA, please pass it along. I will be happy to print that. I will be happy to change my viewpoint.

At this time, such claims in my view, are a sick exploitation of the deaths of my fellow Americans to make a political statement.

The deaths of these patriotic soldiers, should not be used as a podium for political grandstanding by either party. Bill Wilson is exploiting their deaths to make a political statement about Obama, who he claims is exploiting their deaths to make a political statement.

Time out folks! Leave the partisan politics at the door. Show a little respect.

7 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's just as likely that every person has a breaking point. This story and the newest one in Orlando, Florida could both easily be seen as examples of individuals that could no longer cope with the pressures within our society.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Wild Gypsy, I agree.

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Weaseldog,

It's just ugh.

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weaseldog,

Could you look at the argument I am trying to develop on my blog post - Tone Deaf?

I will be leaving the net indefinitely in a few weeks, but am hoping to write a book on health care in the US.

Any comments or thoughts from you or your readers would be greatly valued, but no huge hurry.

Thanks!

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger Bukko Boomeranger said...

From wshat I've read, Hasan had a lot of beefs about what the U.S. was DOING, but I don't know about any existential hatred of America. He was just another psychologist who went nucking futs -- if you've known shrinks, you know that many of them get into the field because they're bent -- and he had the added feature of religious mania. Plus easy access to firearms. The all-American story...

By that regard, I'm more anti-American than Hasan. I just plain have a prejudice against Americans. Shameful of me, but when I think of my fellow citizens, I regard the mass of them as being like the people we see on the "Judge Judy" show. Nasty, stupid fcukers. In Oz, when I'd hear a Yank accent on the tram, it made me shudder a bit. Even Mrs. Bukko, whose political views are harsher than mine in many ways, still regards Americans charitably overall.

At least I won't go off violently. I'm a sneerer, not a shooter.

I'll have to see how my piss-takes on the U.S. will play here in Canada. People Down Under loved it, because I'd make it humorous. There might be more pro-American sentiment here, though. Might have to tone it down...

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I decide to check out I won't be taking anyone with me. I feel that I have grown past the single cell drive to survive, thrive, and reproduce at all costs. I have also overcome the angry beast syndrome. Does that make me better than mass murder/suiciders? I hope so.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Goodbye Wild Gypsy.

I tried to get to your site from your profile and you've already gone.

Take care and good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home