Thursday, June 24, 2010

Good News Everyone!

Futurama is back tonight with a new episode.

It's a sci-fi geek cartoon from Matt Groenig, in case you've never heard of it, and will air on Comedy Central at 9:00pm Central Time.

One of the co-writers, David X. Cohen has a bachelors degree in Physics and a Masters Degree in Theoretical Computer Science. With his input ever episode is sure to have a few sly science jokes slipped in.

And combined with science, the show has plenty of alcohol. One of the main characters, 'Bender', is a robot that runs on alcohol burning fuel cells.

If you ever catch the show, pay attention to the labels on the beer bottles, they are always interestingly geeky, like this one:



Or the less cerebral beer, brewed by Bender himself:



And finally, here is the website of a true fan. He built himself a beer making machine in the shape of the beer guzzling Bender!

Anyhoo, if you enjoy the show, then cool. If you hate it, well, you can, "Bite Bender's shiny metal butt."

4 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Weaseldog,

I didn't know that the Simpsons guy did that one. I always flip by it. Now I have to check it out.

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

The first episode aired tonight was alright. It was middle of the road for the series.

I seemed like a space filler.

I appreciated the nod to 'Caprica'.

The second episode I didn't quite get. I assume it was a riff on a movie or series that I haven't seen.

I don't much like the Brannigan character. Having him featured throughout and entire show, put me off a bit.

Still, I expect there will be upcoming episodes that I will enjoy more.

I'll be expecting the show to take a step up. They are just now getting back into the groove of things.

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

To clarify, the base of the plot of the second episode is an overused one.

Leela's legs are trapped under a log. She's dependant on Brannigan for everything.

We've seen this plot device many thousands of times.

I'm just not sure what recent films this might have ripped on... Or if it was.

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Slow Cooking Recipes said...

Verry thoughtful blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home