Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Real Live Wingnuts

I find it annoying that I'm even writing this post today. Its an exploration into the world of professional trolling.

As some of you know, I've been participating in discussions on Jim Kuntsler's blog.

The trolls there are completely unmoderated, and regularly use other people's monikers to make insulting and bizarre posts. Lately, I've become the favorite target. The trolls there continue to post under my moniker. I guess they really like me there.

Its a shame really that JHK's blog isn't moderated in any fashion. For a time it was a nice place to exchange views and discuss topics that center around suburbia, consumerism and the end of the age of oil. Now the trolls have made any discourse there impossible.

Some typepad users tell us that these trolls are all using the same IP address. This is thought to be proof that they are the same person. I suspect that they may all be behind the NetVocates firewall. Its been shown on many blogs now, that NetVocates is sponsoring their worst trolls.

I find it simply amazing that Peak Oil has become such a critical issue, that an entire public relations industry has grown up to fight against discussions of Peak Oil. Someone is paying NetVocates and other corporations, to employ staff to do nothing but disrupt blogs and news groups. The fight to keep us ignorant of Peak Oil has become a money making enterprise.

But NetVocates doesn't only disrupt discussions of Peak Oil, they can be bought and paid to disrupt discussions of political candidates, government policies and calls for peace. And they do.

Next time you wonder why an internet commentator is taking a pro-genocide position, it could well be that they are being paid to promote the slaughter of other human beings. Screaming on the internet to have people slaughtered in other countries, is just another day at the office for some folks. Think of it as a way to 'put food on your family'.

11 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing the number of commenters who either work for the government or the corporations. They take the blue pill and fight to stay in the matrix. I know what you mean about CFN. The trolls take advantage of free speech to quash dissent.

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wease, I hear you. It's been ridiculous over at CFN lately. Shame--I loved it when I first came on board, when it was a much friendlier place. People made me feel welcome--I was a total PO newbie and scared to death--and I learned a lot from the discussions and the links. It's infuriating to see a good site succumb to the trolling, and I've been sad losing my fun online community. I really don't know if the trolling's bought and paid for--even the thought that it might be is totally disgusting.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trolls, ugh!! Hi Donna!

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

From their site:

What We Do
NetVocates provides its clients with expertise in blog monitoring and advocacy. Our trained staff of experts utilizes a unique combination of proprietary technology and human analysis to deliver a focused stream of timely, actionable intelligence to our clients. We then conduct direct and transparent outreach to bloggers to help provide information about products and issues important to our clients.



Our Philosophy.
NetVocates believes transparency is the currency of the blogosphere. When we conduct outreach to bloggers, we are clear about our employment with NetVocates on behalf of a specific company or organization. We abide by the Word of Mouth Marketing Association’s standard that “You say who you're speaking for.” We never engage in anonymous commenting on blogs, and instead are clear with bloggers and the public when we are speaking on behalf of our clients.


Use the links to the left to learn more about the growing significance of blogs and how NetVocates can help you navigate this emerging medium.


They say they practice disclosure, but its been proven they don't.

And of course they have to say they don't make anonymous troll posts, because that would be a felony.

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So thats not you doing that Weez? I just assumed it was. If I'm wrong I apologize for saying it.

I can assure you its not me. I don't know enough computer stuff to know how to do stuff like that. Nor do I, or would I work for something like netvocates. I don't have the time or inclination for something like that. I've got too much work to do. Not the sitting around in front of a computer kind of work. If I was any kind of advocate, I would tell you and anybody else. I'm just a guy in Nashville.

dangerbird

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CFN will soon also be a target of the McCain bill which seeks to criminalize all blogging which is not under gubbermint control. JHK will be fined $300k every time some neo-con thug drops the bomb. How long do you think he'll keep his blog up then? The rethugs have made it very clear that they hate all blogs which get 500+ comments per thread, they said as much. Very soon you won't be able to log on to a needlepoint blog without risking commiting a "crime" by their definition. Meanwhile, the beat goes on, the moneyed interests drive us all closer to total annihilation.

 
At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weez.
Whoever is doing that on CFN is using my e-mail address under your moniker. I'll repeat. It is not me doing that. My brain doesn't work like that. Yeah. I get sarcastic. But I'm not out to hi-jack anybody's anything. That person(s) has hi-jacked my e-mail. Kinda makes me want to just throw out the whole computer. If its that easy to hi-jack my e-mail. Then whats the point?



dangerbird

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

It doesn't make JHK's site a very pleasant place to visit, does it?

I'm sorry that I didn't catch on right away that your moniker was being hijacked also.

I should've known that you don't get that nasty, I thought we were just seeing another side to you. I apologize for things I wrote about you, though I know its probably tough to figure out what I wrote and what I didn't.

As Mort pointed out, jerks like the peeps at NetAvocates will soon be able to troll on websites, and then report the admin for letting them do it. At $300k a pop, automated trolling software could generate trillions of dollars in fines for a site owner in a few hours.

Under this law, government censors could post on your website, and immediately start proceedings against you. It would be legal for them to do so.

It's the new way.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

On CFN, the troll posts are starting to look mechanical and scheduled.

NetVocates says, "Our trained staff of experts utilizes a unique combination of proprietary technology and human analysis to deliver a focused stream of timely, actionable intelligence to our clients."

It looks like they can schedule automated trolling.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Edgar! :-) Hi, Mort!

Dangerbird, I feel a lot better about you now. So glad it wasn't you doing all that shit. Thanks for posting. Really sorry you and Wease are being hijacked over at CFN. Stinks all around.

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mort sez: Hi Donna!

Edgar sez: Hi Donna!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home