Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dollar Got The Blues

This is the late great Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown. His home town was destroyed by Katrina as he was passing on from lung cancer. He was one of my favorite musicians of all time.

In person he was as affable as he appears. He enjoyed performing and he enjoyed mixing with the audience. The long running bathroom joke at his appearance started with someone saying, "Gatemouth! I sure wish I could play that thing the way you do!", and Gatemouth would reply, "It ain't nuthin, I just take it out and point it, and it does the rest."

I got to see him at 'Karavan of Dreams' in Fort Worth and again at 'Poor David's Pub' in Dallas. I regret that I didn't get to see more of his performances while he was still with us. An autographed poster of him hangs in a room my house.

Here he is performing, 'Dollar Got The Blues'.


Footage of the Jazz funeral held for him in New Orleans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home