Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Hype On Russia And Georgia

As this scenario has evolved, I've found myself caught up in some of excitement, anxiety, hysteria, what have you.

And I've accepted a few assertions made by various folks at face value.

This morning, I thought I ought to do something out of the ordinary for an American, and look at a map. I'm embarrassed to say that I usually do this first when learning about a country I don't know much about. This time around, I didn't and as a result I wrote a few comments here and there, that are a bit silly in retrospect.

Here's the map from the CIA World Factbook.



The PDF Version is here.

Some folks have told me that you can't trust any of the data on the CIA site. But I think we're fairly safe when it comes to maps.

As you can see in this map, Russia is at the top in the center. Georgia, is just South of it.

From the geography, it's clear that this conflict doesn't influence anything in Afghanistan at the moment. So I had a complete 'foot in mouth' moment on that one.

If Russia wants to supply Iran, the Caspian Sea provides a route for shipping.

As to the theory that Russia is going to use Georgia as a conduit to Iran for military assistance..., I think this is problematic. There are other countries in the way. Turkey is awfully close to where the supply lines would be. At the moment, I don't know that these countries would welcome a Russian supply line running through their countries. But maybe they won't have much to say about it?

The map does make it clear why Kuwait is asking that we not start a war in Iran. They are in a vulnerable position.

UPDATE: I've just learned that Russia has taken out Georgia's oil fields. So maybe this does have an impact on Dick Cheney's prized pipeline through Afghanistan.

15 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

Wease!
You hit it! UPDATE: I've just learned that Russia has taken out Georgia's oil fields. So maybe this does have an impact on Dick Cheney's prized pipeline through Afghanistan.
The pipeline in Georgia is critical to the west as they supply much of the oil. Despite what the chief idiot says, it is all about the oil. Remember, 9/11 occurred and Afghanistan was attacked 10 days after meetings broke down between the Taliban and the White House to have a pipeline through Afghanistan to guess where?
It is all about the oil. I updated on this again today as to what Russian bloggers are swaying and how the issue is purposely clouded as usual to create a gray area and hide the true agenda. This too is just beginning!
Oh yeah, just imagine what position we would be in right now if Georgia was accepted into NATO as Bush wanted a month or 2 ago?

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

Wait a minute, was it the UN yeah I think it was?

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Right, killing the source of the oil and gas that was to run through the pipeline makes it useless.

This eliminates one source of fuel for the upcoming war on Iran.

I find it interesting that we have no ambassador to Turkmenistan. Considering how close it is to our colony of Afghanistan, we should have a full time diplomat working there. But according to the CIA, they provide the chemicals used in heroin processing for our friends in Afghanistan. So maybe we don't really need an official presence.

I wonder if Russia will take out Uzbekistan's oil and gas fields?

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

wease
As we keep saying, this is just beginning. I was just listening to Saakshavili or however you spell it and he said the oil is still flowing but he thought the pipeline was the target all along.
as I keep saying here too things are purposely confused to create a gray area to hide the real agenda.i don't know who benefits from Uzbekistan's oil and gas fields? If it is the west they are a target. This is just beginning. Friggen Bush!

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'm not a good Amurkin, because I love to see darth cheney, bushco, and their shenaigans getting shtuft. I hope Russia does take over that pipeline, and the oil. That's why we invaded Iraq. The neo-cons are making and breaking all the rulz, two, or four, or six, can play at that game. Screw 'em!

Hi weaseldog! Nice to see you in fine form with this one. I've been having fun with conspiracy theories lately. King of kooky stuff, but fun.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

Hey Wease!
I wrote on it today but it was interesting that an ex Presidential candidate said Georgia was the instigator and it is once again all about oil. Once again genocide and we are on the wrong side. America has sold its soul for oil!

 
At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The neo-cons have hijacked US flight 101 (again) and are planning to crash it into the gulf of scrupulousness.

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey wease, we might be due for some unseasonably cool weather this weekend. The jet stream moved south of us and now a northern low might move in. Yippee! Time to plant the fall carrots and cukes!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

Wease!
This seems to be ratcheting up every time I turn on the news. Russia says forget about Georgia's border integrity. This will only be quelled one way too. Sonofabitch!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Russia is blowing up all of the military installations around the oil facilities / port...

Where Iraq is like Vietnam, Iran may be like North Korea.

American troops will be fighting Iranians suppled with Russian munitions.

Can you here the sound of Cheney's friends losing money?

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

Breaking news!
105 Russian tanks and armored personnel carriers are moving deeper into Georgia! Great cease fire!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Knight to Rook 5. Check.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Hehe, yeah, cucumber time again. :)

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

Wease
It gets closer every day! I have been listening to the Russians say they will ignore the Ukraine and everyone else. No one is going to control them! Did you hear the chief ass hole saying you can't be bullying and intimidating. That Hippocratic bastard.
I understand you guys are still experiencing triple digit temperatures, good luck with those cukes!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Thanks Jim.

We had some heavy showers today.

It's supposed to rain all weekend. I may not be planting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home