Thursday, June 11, 2009

Power Outage

At my home yesterday at about 7:30, the power went out. We have had thunderstorms roll through and transformers all over the metroplex blew out from the extreme ionization.

My wife and I were watching the news and the meteorologist said, "Watch this live shot of Fort Worth, you can see a rare phenomena, called Power Lightning."

Well, what we saw was transformers all over the city, just spontaneously exploding. No lightning strikes were visible, so I'm guessing they simply discharged into locally ionized atmosphere.

Five minutes later, in Irving, our transformer exploded.

This morning power was still out, I assume that TXU doesn't stock enough transformers to replace so many.

My next door neighbor's dad needs electricity for oxygen. I'm sure that many other people in my city need electricity for life sustaining purposes. We may see a few deaths resulting from these storms.

For my wife and I, we made do. We got out the camping equipment and made coffee on our Coleman stove.

We have a cheap phone that doesn't need external power for backup. So our phone service continues.

We're just worried now that we'll be throwing out everything in the refrigerator and freezer.

And for today, the thunderstorms continue.

2 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Blogger ExRanger said...

Sorry to hear that the power is out, I never liked it much when it happens here. It does make for a good dress rehersal though if you use it that way. Hope the lights come on soon!

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Power was down for about 24 hours. We haven't inventoried the big freezer yet. All the ice cream melted.

TXU had the power on for about an hour, by the time I got home from work, then the replacement transformer blew. They replaced that in under two hours and we haven't had a problem since.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home