Friday, August 07, 2009

Chicken Photo Journalism


I've been contacted by a photojournalism student, that is doing a project on backyard chickens. He made a point letting me know that he's 50 years old. I guess it's never too late to learn new skills.

He's coming out to my place on Saturday to do an interview and take some photos. I'll have rights to post pics and such here on my blog.

When I go out in my backyard, I see the same familiar stuff. So when out working in my yard yesterday, I wondered what is really worth the effort to photograph. But then I look at my birds and the trees, the trellises, gardens, goldfish ponds and remember how people react when they see it all. So maybe this will reopen my own eyes.

Tomorrow I'm also going to a Dallas screening of Mad City Chickens. I'll post a review later.

Anyhoo, photos to come...

9 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Blogger Bukko Boomeranger said...

Weas -- one thing to remember about animal pictures is to get down at their level when you do the shot. From our viewpoint, they seem small to the camera's eye. But if you get to eye level of a dog or chicken, there's a refreshing perspective.

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Backyard chickens are very cool.

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am considering an experimental chicken project in the future. So what breed of chickens are those in right hand side of the photograph? The one in the middle by the fence looks like a feisty li'l one.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

The two on right are...

Gold One - Shar Pei / Golden Lab mix
Blue One - Catahoula Leopard Dog

The rooster in the middle is a cross. I never knew what breed his daddy was (I think he was an Auracana), but his mother was a Buff Orpington.

The feisty one is a Welsummer. They are fairly calm birds and lay chocolate colored eggs.

The one peaking out is my alpha hen. She's an Auracana I think.

Buff Orpingtons are a great starter Chicken. Big and calm. They can't fly. The Queen of England keeps a flock of them.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

BTW, those are the same pups as in my sig picture.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Oh, the feisty on on the right!

Yeah, she has attitude.

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Puppies! I haven't had a doggie in a long time. Our kitty is the dog I never had.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger jmsjoin said...

That's the balls Wease I can't wait, I love it! You know as an Ag student I went around the county and taught people how to backyard farm and take care of their poultry.

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still love your chickens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home