Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Chicken Igloos?

I just happened to glance at an ad that google was kind enough to post on my blog. With my permission of course. When will that check be in tha mail?

It's for Chicken Igloos.

I'm not promoting them. I just think its a cute idea. They sell you a chicken tractor and the chickens. It's like a feathered ant farm. :)

A chicken tractor is just a moveable cage. You move it about your yard to keep the birds contained and safe and so that they don't eat all the grass in one spot. It also keeps them from pooping from the roof of your patio cover.

I'm not sure about the write-up for the breeds. Their description of barneveldars was that they are lazy birds and the chicks are yellow. Hrrmmm, the ones I just hatched came out brown and the little devils run and play like mad. I can only catch them now, because I'm bigger and have more experience. They run into the wire and don't know what to do. It won't be long before I'll just let them go.

I wonder if what they are selling are Barneveldars or if they just have mixed stock?

Still, the idea is cute.

On the right of this page is a link to BackYard Chickens. On it you can find pictures of home built chicken tractors.

My chicken tractor is nothing but a frame made of old pipe, surrounded by chicken wire. I only use it for chicks, to protect them and still elt them stay outside all day. Inside I put a pet carrier with a heater made from a lamp in a can, covered with a large jar, to keep the chicks off the light bulb. I cover it all with a towel.

If your try out a chicken igloo, be sure and write back about your experience with it!

1 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

I don't know anything about the igloos, but my understanding is that the reasons for chicken tractors are: a) the chickens are enclosed/protected b) you can move them so that they can eat bugs and grass and c) they fertilize at the same time.

This is probably obvious, but I thought I would add my 2 cents...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home