Thursday, April 06, 2006

Yard Blogging

Here are some promised pictures of my backyard and it's denizens.

We've had some rain, so I'm behind on the mowing....


My Welsummers. Two cockerals and a hen. They were hatched Nov 5, 2005.

My little fish pond. It contains mosquito fish and a one pound bluegill. It also contains lilies, and horstails. It's a self contain ecosystem except for the pump. Feeding has been optional. It's surrounded by rosemary, lavendar, sage and argugula. I have more planted that hasn't come up yet, including parsley, beans and squash.

View facing West from the pond. My tiny garden area is showing signs of life. I have onions, beans, potatoes, amish pumpkins and tomatoes planted, though they aren't very visible from this angle. Just past the stone is a newly planted mission olive tree. It's next to the flower pot, which has a peach branch in it, that may or may not take root. In the background is a crepe myrtle and a texas everbearing fig.

This is Ella, at six months she has a reputation as a famed chicken wrestler and destroyer of all things newly planted.


Young artichoke plants. They are penned up to protect them from the chickens until they are bigger. They'll provide some shade for them when the summer heat kicks in. Behind them you can see some patches of oregano I started in the fall.

And that's it for today. I'll post pics of the front yard soon.

5 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a lovely yard. The grass is so green. Maybe you could get some pigmy goats too? They're so cool. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

If I had goats, I'd have nothing green. You can see where the chickens keep their area picked clean.

Everything was brown loast month. We've had rain like we have since since the 1960s. Some flooding a death to go with it. It hasn't hurt my yard any.

When I do cut the grass, I cut it a bit higher than most folks, so it will shade the earth. That keeps it green longer through the summer without watering. My wife wants it shorter, so it's always a point of contention.

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right to cut it longer during drought conditions. I knew there was a drought in Texas, I just didn't know that you had much rain lately. I saw that there was flooding on the Red River and I was like WTF, what gives? I guess you-all got more rain than I realized. Anyway, you are right about goats, they would eat everything right to the ground. I thought about that after I posted and was like, well, he wouldn't have those herbs for long with goats around unless he tethered them somewhere. Thanks for the pics though, see ya over at CFN indubitably.

 
At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weas-

Great looking place. I'm very envious.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pics, weas. :-) Especially of the chickens and Ella. (You just know she'd introduce herself to other dogs as "Destroyer of All Things Newly Planted," a la Far Side :-) Looks like you have lots of room still for more planting. Your posts have encouraged me to start talking with my sister, who owns a home in a small Michigan town--she's planted flowers and garlic and onions in raised boxes made with railroad ties, and it works well. Maybe she'd like to plant some berry bushes or a fruit tree. We get great raspberries in Michigan--the bushes can bear all summer.

Front yard pics! Yes, please. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home