Sunday, May 07, 2006

Crop Circles...

Here's an updated photo of my front yard crop circle. The Artichokes are starting to gain a bit of height. I added in salvias around the edge to offset them. The artichokes are said to reach up to five feet in height. The salvias, two to three feet. In the center I added asparagus that has sprouted but is thin and wispy. It's proably not visible in this photo.


Here are my Barneveldar chicks. Out of a dozen eggs, three hatched. Most of the eggs didn't show any sign that they were fertile. I gave one of the chicks (not pictured here) to my sister.

These chicks were hatched on April 27th.

4 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet chicks, weas. :-) So how do the adults take to the little ones?

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

They don't know what to make of them. My Black Orpingtons are just now old enough to be broody.

None have any experience with babies.

I let the chicks run around for a while and they followed some of the hens, but no special attention was given to them.

I'm keeping them in a chicken tractor when there's no rain in the forecast. I took a pet carrier and inside put a olad bathmat and makeshift heater with a 60 watt, insect light. Essentially the heater is a bulb base inside a coffee can, covered in a pickle jar, so they can't touch the bulb.

I cover it with a towel seen in the pic, to keep in insulated.

So if it get's cold or gusty, they have a warm place to stay. If it does rain unexpectantly, I think they'll stay dry inside.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Jim Robb said...

Nice chics Weasel. My urban local does not allow fowl...not yet anyway. Keep it up!
Jim (differentJim)
www.pedaleconomics.blogspot.com

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home