Monday, July 16, 2007

I Saw Sun!

Here in North Central Texas, the rain seems to have finally loosened its grip.

During our deluge, our lakes went from being thirteen feet under to more than two feet over. Then it kept raining.

The rushing river in the drainage ditch behind my home, lapped up to my fence line on occasion.

As to my garden, it has mostly been a disaster. All of my squash, melons and cucumbers died from over watering. My tomatoes had little sun, and are just now producing. One is turning pink today.

I have gotten a bumper crop of green beans. I went to trellis beans this year and they are taking over.

Surprisingly, after the rain is over, I've been weeding and have found the earth dry around the roots. Evidently I need to get more organic matter tilled in. And probably tilled in deeper. So this year I'm making a big effort to collect as many leaves and grass clippings from neighbors as I can.

And Yay! My neighbor cut down a dead tree and gave me the large logs. I have a couple of garden areas they they be used to border. I have one log to replace, that my dogs destroyed. It rotted and they discovered it was full of tasty things. I replaced it with stone, but logs are better.

Anyway... Here's what I'm listening to today...

Sharon Astyk on The Reality Report

And check out Sharon's Blog!

4 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Wease,

Hopefully JK has it under control, but what did you think about the people that wanted to qualify who was worthy of posting, shouldn't a comments section be something that evolves...he doesnt' post about the same thing every week...
bay/

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

I don't care for the idea of that degree of filtering. Simply filtering for abuse would be enough.

Abuse as I would define it is trolling, incessant insults, spamming arguments over and over with let up.

On forums where comments are good for 15 minutes before the topic changes, moderating to keep comments on topic are fine.

But as you point out, its a bit of a tradition for JHK's comments to wander.

I think JHK likes that, as he often seems to find something in those comments to propel his next entry.

 
At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wease! Sorry about your melons. Pickled two quarts of, well, pickles today. First time in six or seven years I have gotten any. The clouds saved us from the early heat. Yay!

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Jeez, sorry about the garden. That sucks.

We've had a nice pattern of rain alternating with sun, with warm-but-not-scorching temps in NYC this summer. Not so great for people (too much rain), but great for the garden so far.

First tomatoes harvest this evening. A little tough still on the outside, but tasty & fresh on the in!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home