Monday, August 07, 2006

Does This Blog Make Me Look Fat?

I think this is too many posts for one day, but it's time for the weekend wrapup.

I got the chicks. I ended up with 16, when expecting 14. The gal that sold them too me, tossed in some extras to get rid of them.

The smallest chick in the lot didn't make it through Saturday. They were all stressed out about the move. That particular chick was afraid of the water mister and all the commotion, and wandered off to succumb to the 104f temps. I know that I can't save them all, but I still feel bad about finding little tragedies like that.

The rest have settled into their new pen. They've been eating and drinking well, and have been digging in the cool dirt under the mister when the day gets hot. Their pen is shaded under a forty year old oak tree, so they don't get any direct sun.

When I went to pick the chicks up, there were some young girls holding up signs for free puppies. Being a sucker at heart, I had to look. I've now got a Aussie Border Collie / German Shepherd mix that I've named 'Teaser', from Cat Steven's 'Teaser and FireCat'. He's about seven weeks old and smart as can be. He only cried a little Saturday night. Otherwise he's settled right in.

Ella has adopted him, and keeps his neck coated in dog slobber.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get new batteries for my digital camera...

1 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! New chicks =and= a puppy. You're such a soft touch, Weaseldog. :-)

I'm sorry one of the chicks didn't make it, and I hope the rest continue to do well. I'd be a lousy livestock owner--I get too bent over dead animals. Recently saw a book in the bookstore, _Not Left Behind_, about animal rescue group Best Friends, who went into New Orleans immediately after Katrina and rescued 3,200 abandoned dogs, cats and other pets. So inspirational! Highly recommended. But I digress.

Photos of the new additions soon, please? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home