Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My Dogs Are Still Gone

Tomorrow the local Humane Society office opens. That is really our last hope in getting our dogs back. And it is a slim hope. After all, two of my dogs had ID tags. If someone caught them with the intention of returning them to their rightful owner, I would've had them back over the weekend.

Yesterday I did a bit of online research on stolen dogs. I didn't learn anything new, but seeing it all spelled out, just left me feeling a sense of helplessness and dread. Those dogs depended on me to keep them safe and I was unable to do that.

My wife cried most of yesterday. She went to PetSmart and Shady Grove Feed Store to put up flyers. At PetSmart, they were supportive but told her that they were most likely stolen and there is little chance of getting them back. At the feed store, the clerk said she'd tell every customer and help get them back.

I didn't want to think about my wife spending all day crying, and I'm broken up quite a bit myself, so I got another pup. I bought an unregistered Catahoula. He is six weeks old and weighs about 9-10lbs. My wife and I talked about getting a dog from a shelter, but my hours don't make it possible to get to one during the weekdays, and I know she wouldn't do it at this time. In a few months we will pick up a mutt at the shelter, as this pup will need a playmate. He's going to be too much dog, to be left playing by himself. He'll just get into trouble.

I'll post pictures of the pup later. He doesn't have a name yet.

I'm still hoping my three lost dogs will return. If they do, they've got a new puppy to play with.

10 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am keeping a good thought.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Please tell your wife that she isn't the only one who has cried about your little dogs. Like buzz saw, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.

Do you think someone came into your house and took the dogs? How did they get their hands on them?

I cannot imagine the mental mess I would be in if this had happened to my little dog. God, it would drive me crazy.

Long ago I had a little chihuahua that got spooked and ran away from our yard when no one was looking. We searched for her day and night for days. Then about two weeks later a boy in my class at school was talking about a little dog he and his family had found. I asked him to describe the dog, and yes it was my little dog. He lived a couple of miles from me and all those nights I was wondering around in the woods calling for Leta, she was safe and sound in a home eating chopped steak.

Hopefully one day soon you'll have a similar story to tell.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

No, we weren't burgled.

Ella knocked the screen door open when my wife was going to the car for more groceries.

The dogs danced and cavorted out into the yard, and then down the street.

A few minutes later I was out looking for them. But I never spotted them.

Two of them are wearing tags. One knows the neighborhood very well.

I don't believe that the dogs are lost. They have to be locked up somewhere or worse.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Akubi said...

I'm so sorry. I hope the puppy is helping a bit.
The fact that three dogs were stolen so quickly seems to suggest that whoever did it might live nearby. Have you asked neighbors to see if there were any witnesses?

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bastidges.

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I came back hoping for some good news. I sure wish there was some.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

Well, at the vet yesterday, I met a couple of women that saw Teaser out roaming around on Friday. They looked at his picture and said it was definitely him.

They saw him almost about a mile from my house.

I'm going to put up posters in that area tonight. I'll also hit the park, schools and churches around there.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

They saw him almost about a mile from my house.

Did I write that? :)

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have noticed until you wrote it again. Good luck wease!

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Lefty said...

Sorry to hear it my friend. But keep some hope alive, they still could turn up you never know. A few years back I was watching my parent's house and my mother's cat snuck out the door. Stupid cat didn't turn up for over a week but she was only about a block away. We had even given the flyer to the idiot whose shed she was hiding under.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home