Friday, December 04, 2009

Time Warner Cable

Add another data point to our decline...

Wednesday morning, we had high winds and my cable internet went out. I called that evening when it was still down. They sent a tech out the next morning. He determined that the problem was not in my house. So they sent out a lineman who griped and made swearing noises while working on a pole next to really thorny tree. I felt for the guy.

Later last night, still no internet. I called them up and they said the problem was fixed. I told them I still didn't have internet. They said someone would be out in about an hour.

An hour later, the door bell rang. I thought it was the cable guy. Nope, it was a neighbor going door to door, checking to see if anyone in the area had working cable service. He said that Time Warner told him there was not outage, so there was nothing to fix. He had determined that the entire block was out. For him, it was especially annoying because he had cable TV and his wife was missing her shows...

Late last night, I called again. The techie informed my that my internet connection was repaired. I corrected him and asked him to reopen the ticket, and asked when the lineman was due out. He told me that no one was coming out. There was no outage in my area. I asked him how they determine if there is an outage, and he said he had no idea. but he assured me that none of my neighbors were having problems.

So I asked him again to please send someone out to fix my service. He said he would put me down to be monitored, and if in a few days it was determined that there was an outage, they would come out and try to restore my service.

I'm still a bit incredulous that they would do this to their customers. Back in the old days when I used to spend time on the phone talking to vendors, I learned to be mean and to push hard to get the things we were promised. I considered going into Jack Ass Mode with Time Warner, and push to get a technician out there pronto. And I decided it's not worth my effort. If they are going to do this to me once, they'll do it again. If they don't care about providing me with service, I'll quit sending them money.

A little while ago, I ordered FIOS from Verizon. I'll be dropping Time Warner Cable after I get all of my email contacts moved over. This solution will save me a bit cash. It's also twice as fast. It's too bad that there are no vendors in my area that follow Constitutional Law. They all help the government spy on me, while violating my right to be secure in my person, house, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures. Oh well, if my rights must be violated while providing me with a needed service, then I guess I might as well choose the vendor based on quality and price.

I just hope I don't need to work from home before this debacle is over. I'll be using sneaker net for my homework for a time, rather than a secure private network.

5 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Kitty said...

Sorry Weaseldog... good luck...

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Weaseldog said...

It's all good Kitty.

This issue is just an irritation. And a disappointment.

A real crisis would be going hungry, and having difficulty finding food...

My life is on the whole right now, is going great. :)

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Bukko Boomeranger said...

And that's the brilliance of yearly contracts, connected to credit card numbers! They (be it in cable TV, internet, cellphone, even freaking services like OnStar) can screw you out of what you paid for, deny that they're doing EXACTLY WHAT THEY'RE DOING and still squeeze money out of you. The money will keep flowing through your credit card -- you want to keep your credit rating good, doncha boy? -- until you dispute it.

I think in coming years, the banks that run the credit cards are going to become tacit partners with the ripoff maggots. They won't be so quick to reverse bogus charges. Why should they impinge on the business practices of fellow grifters? The only way to get out of something is to cancel your credit card. And you won't be able to get modern services like the ones mentioned above WITHOUT cards. Play the game their way, or live like a caveman.

I'm feeling paranoid these days. Living in a new country, where you realize just how meaningless your life is because you're a dirty fucking immigrant, does that to you.

For instance, we tried to sign up for cell phone service. We didn't even need a phone handset -- we have the one we used in Oz, which can be re-chipped for Canada. We come into the provider whose plan we evaluated and liked best and said "Here's a valid U.S. credit card. We'd like to sign up so we can pay you money every month for the privilege of annoying people when we talk in public places."

But noooooo. The wenus at the cellphone provider first asked to see my passport -- a farking phone money is qualified to examine my PASSPORT to see if my immigration visa is sufficient?!? -- and after I provide that, says "Sorry, we can't take money from you on the American credit card you've had for a decade because you have no Canadian credit history."

Well FUCK YOU, buddy! We have decided to go without cellphone service. Our money's not good enough for you? Fido ain't gettin' any of MY bones, and neither is any other cellphone company. Bastards were so clever that they lost.

Sorry to wander off topic, Weas. When someone starts pissing and moaning about bad service, I join right in.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger The North Coast said...

Wease, use a yahoo or gmail email box. That way you don't have to move your email every time you get annoyed with your internet provider and see a better deal. What's more, these boxes are FREE and have unlimited storage space.

Is there anyone in your area besides Time Warner? They stink, from everything I've heard. What about Comcast, not that they're exactly beautiful but they tend to be reliable even if they are jerks. SBCAmeritech or AT&T maybe?
Do you have Cricket? Verizon?

None of them are gorgeous so you have to continually shop them and be prepared to move when they don't deliver.

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Jonah Cowan said...

Appreciate you bloggiing this

 

Post a Comment

<< Home